The Pilgrim Progress was instituted by the Town of Plymouth in 1921 in honor of its Pilgrim founders. The march takes place the first four Fridays in August and also is an integral part of the Town’s celebration of Thanksgiving Day.
Each marcher represents one of the 51 survivors of the first harsh winter of 1620-21.
The line of march proceeds past Plymouth Rock and up the First Street (Leyden Street today) to the top of Burial Hill where a short Pilgrim worship service is observed on the site of the original fort/meetinghouse. The passages read by Elder Brewster are usually from Governor Bradford’s “History” or other Pilgrim source.