#ThrowBackThursday: “Landing of the Pilgrims” at Pilgrim Hall Museum
Boston artist Henry Sargent first depicted the “Landing of the Pilgrims” on a canvas in 1815, but the painting was soon damaged. Thus, Sargent painted a new version, between 1818 and 1822.
The painting was then loaned to Pilgrim Hall, (what we now call Pilgrim Hall Museum) for the “Forefathers Day celebrations” in 1824. The painting was also honored at the opening of Pilgrim Hall, which was created after the 200th anniversary of Plymouth Colony in 1820.
J.S. Buckingham, an English writer and traveler, describes Pilgrim Hall and Sargent’s painting in his book, America, Historical, Statistic, and Descriptive.
“In 1820, the second Centennial Celebration of the Landing of the Pilgrim Fathers, took place at Plymouth; and on this occasion was founded The Pilgrim’s Society. This was incorporated by the Legislature of the State, and resolutions were passed to build a Pilgrim Hall, to be devoted to the annual festivities accompanying the celebration.”
According to Buckingham, the building was erected in 1824 and cost $10,000 dollars.
Today, Sargent’s painting still hangs at Pilgrim Hall Museum, and is being restored after 200 years, in preparation for Plymouth’s 400th anniversary in 2020.